Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Caroline and Her Ears

Miss Caroline’s ears continue to be a source of discomfort to our little princess. This is even after the events I am writing about now. We are not sure what will be the ultimate source of relief for her…hopefully she will just outgrow the issues altogether!

Caroline had her second set of tubes in August 2011. She began having problems with them almost immediately. She has gone through numerous rounds of Ciprodex drops, a ruptured eardrum, abscesses and more pain than I care to admit. Poor little thing has had constant trouble. She was at the Doctor for her ears in December, February, April, May, July, August and September. At the September visit, Dr. McRae said he thought our best course of action was surgery.

So the following Tuesday Caroline and I left bright and early from Grandmomma and Papa’s house to go get her ear fixed. Backing up a bit, she sure did enjoy her Pre-Op appointment. There are some super nice ladies at Troy Regional. Caroline was actually a little excited. Poor baby was tired of her ear hurting all the time and so was this Momma! We “checked in” and were shown our lovely room. Caroline was given a puppy, a Looney Tunes gown, a warm (and I mean really warm, like fresh out of the dryer) blanket and access to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She was beginning to enjoy herself just a bit! From the race car (I mean hospital bed) ride down to the first floor, the sweet nurse who brought her a hat and “dr.’s mask,” to the folks in recover, we could not have asked for better service. Her nurse even told me to get in Caroline’s bed so that I could hold her while she pushed us to the room.

Sometimes the little things make all the difference. We even saw Nurse Anna. She is such a sweet and special lady!! Caroline was on the 2nd floor. A little over six years ago the 2nd floor was Labor and Delivery. Nurse Anna was my nurse when I was checked into the hospital for a non-stress test and ended up with a baby boy! I was scared and didn’t really understand all that was going on. She is the one who told me I might better call my husband because we were probably going to have a baby. She was calm and kind when I was scared and very nervous. Every time I see her, my heart fills with gratitude and precious memories come to mind.

Dr. McRae said scar tissue had formed to the eardrum which was part of what was causing Caroline’s pain. The current abscess was around the tube and he cleaned that out and removed the tube. We are hoping Caroline is at the end of her journey with ear troubles…unfortunately, she continues to cry with her right ear and complain that it hurts. We will see what Dr. McRae says at her followup...

In the meantime, here are some super adorable pictures (biased, I know):


Hold me 


In her gown and with her bracelets like Daddy's

Warm blankets

Her puppy is wrapped up in her gown

Fred

Her Race Car

She won the race!

Check her out...she is ready now!

Let's make sure we get the right right ear

Being silly picking out prize...before she got sick all over the place

Primping later that evening with some lip gloss the
sweet lady at the Este Lauder counter sent her

No comments: